Into the Unknown: Teaching During a Pandemic




Into the Unknown: Teaching During a Pandemic

Contributed to the HIVE by:  Josephine Scavuzzo



Over and over again, the media has reported that these are unprecedented times. The CoVid19 crisis is having a profound effect on all of us as citizens of this world. In order to prevent the spread of the virus, our education system has been shut down. According to UNESCO, these nationwide closures are impacting over 90% of the world’s student population. In many districts, there are contingency plans, technology rollouts, and resource staff to support learners and their families. However, there is no consistency across local school boards and districts, much less between countries around the world.


As a 23-year veteran teacher in Toronto, my only remote learning experience has been my own. I’ve taken professional learning courses and had to balance my home and work life with the demands of the course. I can’t imagine how children are navigating this online, remote learning world. There are many obvious benefits to using technology. I am a proponent of computers, robotics, interactive whiteboards, tablets...all of it, being in the hands of our students. Knowing how to apply tech skills empowers children to solve problems, communicate, and collaborate (among other skills). These opportunities will prepare children for the world of the future, which is likely to be predominantly digital.



Distance learning is fraught with issues of equity. Not all of my students have access to a device or an internet connection. They may not have support for their specialized learning needs at home. Some parents are struggling to pay for food and necessities because they are currently unemployed. I feel conflicted because I have a professional responsibility to provide a meaningful online program for my students. On the other hand, I recognize that there are incredible challenges in individual households and that all students are not able to complete the work that I assign.
 


To make this process more engaging, I am in touch with families via email and over the phone. I’m considering a virtual meet with the students so we can reconnect. I also offer students the opportunity to practice mindfulness, inquiry, art, and fitness. But I constantly wonder if it is enough or is it right?


I miss my students and their love for learning. I empathize with them when they say they miss being with their friends and they are scared by the news. Interactions are happening at an arm’s length right now and we don’t know when that may change. We are all doing what we can to cope with the situation. When we get back to school, we will need to rebuild our relationships with our students, community, and colleagues. We will have to relearn curriculum concepts. I am hopeful that what the students have gained being at home (personal or academic) will serve them well when we resume formal schooling once again.

Comments

  1. Agreed. I’m sure that you’re doing an amazing job and that you are being understanding. Stay positive. We’re almost done ✅❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Study Smarter, not Harder!

6 Ways to Maximize your Summer Break

Virtual Classrooms for Virtual Learning