Let Them Play: Getting Started in Virtual and Augmented Reality

The launching point for jumping into virtual or augmented reality can be terrifying.  If you are not already comfortable with the technology or you are not someone who typically jumps right into new technological teaching challenges, you may think to yourself, "why bother?"

Augmented and Virtual Reality (ARVR) are not only two of the hottest technologies changing the world right now, but they are changing the way we train, learn, and do business.  It isn't if these technologies become more mainstream in schools, but when.  Because of this, and the intrigue and curiosity your kids will feel around learning to create in one of these technologies will be enough to create significant
engagement for more than a single project.  

You may say, however, "I have no idea how to do this, how do I teach them to use it?"

First, we have great opportunities coming your way right here at Princeton Hive for that very thing, but two, and perhaps the most important, you don't have to be an expert to get them started.  When I first started building in ARVR I barely knew what I was doing.  I learned the basic controls of a platform called CoSpaces over 4 years ago and then handed the tool over to my kids.  I didn't tell them how to create, I just gave them a general set of directions.   Their task was to create a chain reaction with at least 3 steps that would launch a rocket ship in the end.  I gave kids the chance to play.  They took the platform and turned it into their own personal storytelling machine.  They not only created chain reactions (like a Rube Goldberg machine) but they also invested heavily in the aspects of storytelling.  

While I gave my students this assignment I also gave them at least a full period more than they needed. They used that time to create some interesting and amazing things.  I used that time to work with them on
the technical aspects and we learned together.  There is nothing wrong with telling your students you don't know how to do everything when it comes to a tech tool. There are resources out there that you can find, and you can learn to problem solve and persevere together.  

Fast forward four years and I am still learning more and more every day about ARVR because it consistently presents more to learn.  The best way for me to learn is to play with the technology. I have found that playing with ARVR with kids will not only lead to a better understanding of how it works for both myself and them but also some amazing project ideas as well.  Keep playing, keep learning, and remember that you don't have to be a master for your kids to make magic with augmented and virtual reality. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Study Smarter, not Harder!

6 Ways to Maximize your Summer Break

Virtual Classrooms for Virtual Learning